Community Health Options
Mid Level (2-10 years experience)
The Senior Underwriter contributes to the growth and success of Community Health Options by assessing risk and setting fully-insured premium rates to ensure profitability of both in-force and prospective large employer group membership. Additionally, they are responsible for creating and/or maintaining the pricing & reporting tools and process & protocols that are necessary to support this effort.
- Apply fundamental underwriting principles to review prospective and in-force large employer group insurance cases, assess losses and risk and make fully-insured pricing recommendations to ensure rate sufficiency.
- Present fully-insured pricing recommendations to the Underwriting Committee for consideration and approval.
- Recommend financial targets and monitor the financial performance of the large employer group book of business against those targets. Make recommendations, as appropriate, to underwriting guidelines to ensure targets are met.
- Support the Product Development team in designing an attractive and competitive portfolio of plan offerings, including benefits and cost-sharing levels that meet a wide range of price points.
- Create, maintain, and enforce underwriting policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Identify potential enhancements and recommend modifications to the pricing, valuation, and forecasting models as directed by Senior Management.
- Support sales efforts and onboarding of ASO and Level-Funded clients.
- Leverage acquired industry knowledge and experience to support the organization in developing new lines of business and/or funding mechanisms.
- Support sales strategy for in-force and prospective large employer groups.
- Prepare reports illustrating rate calculations, for both internal and external audience, as necessary.
- Assist in development of junior underwriting analysts and educating them on underwriting and pricing principles.
- Provide assistance evaluating stop loss quoting for self-insured business.
- Other accounting or financial analyses or tasks as needed.
** KEY COMPETENCIES**
People within Community Health Options are expected to work with integrity, humility, strategic vision, curiosity, and discipline. They must be self-motivated, highly effective, and compassionate communicators, effectively working with people, work processes, and actively engaging in continuous process improvement.
Health Option diversity initiatives are applicable—but not limited—to our practices and policies on recruitment and selection; compensation and benefits; professional development, and training; promotions; transfers; social and recreational programs, and the ongoing development of a work environment built upon the premise of diversity equity, which encourages and enforces:
- Respectful communication and cooperation between all employees.
- Teamwork and employee participation, permitting the representation of all groups and employee perspectives.
- Work/life balance through flexible work schedules to accommodate employees’ varying needs.
- Employer and employee contributions to the communities we serve to promote a greater understanding and respect for the diversity.
- BA/BS degree in the field of Economics, Finance, Mathematics or Statistics.
- Minimum of five to seven years underwriting or actuarial experience.
- Knowledge of the health insurance industry.
- Creative and strategic mindset.
- Strong work ethic, efficient time management skills, excellent written and verbal communications.
- Solutions oriented, with an emphasis on accuracy.
- Strong working knowledge of data analysis and presentation along with familiarity with Microsoft Office applications: Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and SQL
- Knowledge of self-insured stop-loss quoting a plus.
- Professional designations such as CEBS, ChFC, RHU desirable.
This is a remote position that includes a Total Rewards Program that is designed to enhance the lives of our people (i.e., cultivate a commitment to health, pay for current healthcare and dependent care costs, and provide a tax-effective vehicle to accumulate funds for retirement).
- Health, Dental and Vision Insurance
- Employer paid Group Life, STD and LTD Insurance
- Wellness Program
- 401(k) Retirement Plan with Employer match
- Workplace Flexibility and Workplace Transition Program
- Dependent Care Flex Spending
- Vacation time, Holidays, Floating Holidays, Personal Health time, Maine Earned Paid Leave, Parental Paid Leave
- Professional Development/Education Reimbursement
NOTE: You will be taken to our portal website to complete this action.
Posted On: February 8, 2023
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Similar Jobs: accounting healthcare insurance, Nearby 04240